Friday, July 4, 2008

La vie du Chateau Germolles

It is really quite incredible to be here. I find myself in the garden glancing up at this 14th century place and I can't believe this is where I am. There is so much to tell about. I'm getting the hang of the french keyboard -- but am still a bit slow at typing -- frustrating when there is so much to write about.

I arrived on a hot Burgundy afternoon -- the kind that had me wondering why I bothered to pack long pants, banana sweats (yes, I brought them) and my waterproof jacket. I was glad I did as we had a storm the other day where the sky turns black and the wind whips around in a way that makes all the birds and bugs nervous. It reminded me of the storm in "Under the Tuscan Sun" where Frances finds an owl in her bedroom. Apparently, that had happened before in my room, so I half expected one. Mother Nature put on quite a show with great cracks of lightning and a torrent of rain that lasted most of the next day. With the rain pouring in buckets, gardening was a bit of a challenge -- though this Oregon girl made a valiant effort. Finally I resigned myself to some cooking -- I made some jam with rhubarb from the garden and a gallete of peaches, raspberries (or RAPSberries, as Christian calls them) and apricots.

The kitchen -- which is a mix of every century from the 12th to the 20th -- is one of my favorite places. The pantry next door smells of wonderful stinky cheese -- sometimes I go in there just to smell it. While the rain isn't ideal, being inside wasn't awful.

This morning Matthieu had a tour in English, so I went along. The history of the chateau is fascinating -- and there is something to discover around every corner. My bedroom is on the first floor (actually the second according to American architecture). This was the floor where the nobility largely slept/lived so I've got one of the best rooms in the house! Though the bedroom where I sleep was redecorated/changed to a more Parisian style, underneath there are the original paintings of Marguerite and Phillipe's initials. It is believed that the Duke Phillipe the Bold gave Marguerite of Flanders Germolles as a gift -- and her influence is everywhere. I'll write more of that later.

Today was beautiful weather for gardening and I spent most of the day in the carre du fleurs -- the wild garden behind the Orangerie (greenhouse). I am taking some before and after pictures -- hopefully the "after" will meet with Marguerite's approval. :)

All for now -- all is well.

2 comments:

Mom said...

Mother Nature put on quite a show in the skies over Seattle and Portland ... maybe not as exotic as yours was! Perhaps a precursor to this evening's man-made fireworks. Mom

max's mama said...

Glad you made it and are enjoying immersion in such a wonderful place!