Thursday, July 3, 2008

Exotic Alaska

This travel gal headed to Alaska for her summer vacation and what a trip it was! I have always wanted to sea kayak so when Kendra asked me if I wanted to go, it was kind of a no-brainer. Originally I was picturing the Puget Sound... orcas, birds, mountains (you get the picture) but Prince William Sound? Who knew it could be even more beautiful!
I am so fortunate to live in this lush, green, make-me-happy place.. and Alaska is even better.

We stayed in a forest service cabin on Paulson Bay. It was a 45 minute water taxi trip from Whittier to the cabin, provided by an attractive local who gave us beer at 11 am :) Getting to Whittier is an interesting experience: picture 2 miles under a mountain with a single lane road. Getting in or out is all based on a well honed system of departures (the train also uses the road as it was originally on accessible by train until recently). Here are a few pictures of my travels, see my blog for more if you're interested.



I spent almost 2 weeks hanging out with my friends, eating at all my favorite places and riding a borrowed bike on the Kincaid Trails for pleasure and in preparation for the Livestrong ride the weekend I got back. A total highlight was spending time with Teagan and Anna. They are absolutely precious! Teagan is 12 months and Anna is 3. We made rhubarb cobbler and played with her dolls... yes, I did.

While this summer is very different than the past two (France, Germany, Italy, Scotland, England.. ahhhh...) it has been equally fun so far. Adventures come in all different shapes and sizes~ yeah! Can't wait to hear Amy's stories when she gets home.

1 comment:

Amy said...

Gorgeous pictures -- great post. I can't wait to sit down with you and a bottle of wine to share stories. Heart u!