Sunday, August 23, 2009

The Land of Oz

It's my last full day at Germolles. As usual, I'm a bit tired, my muscles are sore from gardening, and I'm thinking of my time here. It was different this year, for many reasons, but still a great visit. Matthieu is an intellectual with a surprising kind of child-like humor that I find so endearing. He is a man with his old teddybears still next to his bed, and shoes in the fireplace. He finds beauty and pleasure in many things, as we all should. He is my cowardly lion -- not so much the coward as the big creature with a soft heart. Christian makes me laugh like no one else I know. He is quick-witted and sharp, and dramatic in all the right ways. I am sure we knew each other in a former life, and he is a kindred spirit to me. He is my scarecrow, and it's him I find it hardest to say goodbye too. And then there is the little (well not really) black dog, Balzan, who did not want to leave my side this morning. I think he really does know that I am leaving. He is not as naughty as last year, and still very lovable.

This year we also had Mamùt -- Christian's mother -- what a character she is! Last night she instructed me to eat my spinach because it would "give me a good ca ca (sh*t)". I laughed so hard tears streamed down my face and I couldn't eat. Oh, the meals we have had here! As the French say, "oh la la".

Matthieu and I connected over shadow puppets and last night he showed me his incredible collection -- at least 50 of them. He is just as delighted by my puppet shows with puppets made from cereal boxes and whatever I can find to McGyver a puppet together. He has asked me to put on a great show for the public here at the chateau the next time I come visit.

It's a quiet and picture perfect day at the chateau. I leave tomorrow morning for one more night in Paris, then home. As always, it has been a grand adventure!

No comments: