Friday, August 14, 2009

Apparently, rather good.

"What are the chances?", I thought, that I'd see the Cat Man again. For those of you who don't know (or do know and forgot), last year when I was in Paris I went to the Montmartre Cemetery. In a rather surreal moment, I met a man who feeds the 100 cats that live in the cemetery. We started talking about cats, he asked where I was from, and then he said, "follow me, I want to show you something". Now, some people would think that was a bad idea but the guy is about 75 years old, and probably 5' 1" on a good day, so I figured I could take him. He lead me to a crypt and opened it. Inside were bags and bags of cat food. I asked him if it was his family's crypt. "No." What a surprise the real owners will have if they ever pay a visit, I thought. Anyway, a moment later he asked me for a donation to pay for the cat food, I gave him a few Euros and he was gone... like a ghost. "He'll probably become a character in my next play," I thought, shaking my head. Well, he did. He became "Marcel", the Cat Man in "The Ghosts of Montmartre". And that scene was written into the script.

I often thought when I had the opportunity to return to Paris that I would love to find him again and tell him what he inspired. Seriously, though, what are the chances I'd find him again?

Apparently, rather good. Creepy good, because just as I turned toward the cemetery to search him out, who should I see walking toward me! I couldn't believe it!!! I stopped him and asked if he was the man who fed the cemetery cats -- he was, and had about 20 pounds of cat food in bags to prove it. I reintroduced myself and asked what his name was -- he replied, "Marcel"! HOLY MERDE!!!! I was just about beside myself. He asked if I would have a coffee with him. Heck yeah! What a great "part two" this will be, I thought. There was a cafe just ahead... oh, but he meant at his apartment. Well... a little strange but as I said before, I figured I could take him.

His apartment was neat and had so many things to look at that I can't even begin to describe them. There was beautiful wood paneling and a tiny kitchen where he made the coffee. We chatted for a bit, distractedly. He has an enormous cat of his own, Felix, who makes Stacey's cat Jimmers look like a petite little thing. He asked if I would take our photo, and one of Felix. I did and he gave me his address so I could send him a copy. Really, how could this story get any more amazing? Well... hmmm... let's just say grand pere made a pass at me. He is French, after all... and, as I said before, the senior citizens of Paris seem quite taken with me. That was my cue to exit, which I did quickly -- making sure to avoid "un bise" (kiss on both cheeks) while giving him a donation for the cat food and saying goodbye.

Paris is an interesting place -- with interesting people to be sure. And, if nothing else, they give me lots of good stories to tell. :)

No comments: