Thursday, August 13, 2009

Apparently, I'm big with seniors.

My first meal in Paris (aside from a quiche de champignons for a snack) was a fresh baguette, some marvelous stinky Cammembert, mirabelles (plums), a fantastic dessert called Sully, and a beer. Yes, I know I probably should have been drinking wine to be truly French, but the beer was cold and the wine was not. Besides, after a very hot and humid trek through the Metro stations with luggage, a beer sounded really good. My hotel is just two blocks from Rue Cler -- one of the best places to get picnic supplies -- and a block from the park near the Eiffel Tower -- so while I could have gone to a restaurant, a park bench with the view of the tower wasn't too shabby.

On a bench across from me, an older bearded gentleman talked with a cyclist. The bearded man thumbed his guitar. After the cyclist left, he came over to me. He spoke as he played, low and incomprehesible. The only words I understood were "what is it" and "timide". When I said I didn't understand, he went back to his bench, thumbed his guitar again, without playing a single song, and nearly without making any noise.

On another bench sat a stout man who was eating all his popsicles in one go. I counted them... one... two... three... four... five? Yes, five, I believe. The whole box, chocolate and yellow -- whatever flavor yellow is... vanilla? Citron? Banana? I think banana. I have never seen anyone do that, and it amused me.

Later, I took a walk up to the Tower and the Trocadero. I practiced my French when another gentleman came to sit beside me on the bench. He was pleasant enough, older. He thought I was Portugese. Russian? Funny how I think I must stick out as an American yet I've been asked if I'm Spanish, Brittish, and several other nationalities. When monsieur asked if I wanted to get a drink I said I didn't understand, then politely made my excuses. Hmmm... where are the handsome 39-year olds? :)

Got a bit of a late start today. My body seemed to think it was time to be awake at 2 am. No. Finally up and out for a coffee at about 10:30. Met one of the locals who asked if I liked dining all alone. I think that is what he asked me. Anyway, I said, "yes". Well, when you're traveling by yourself, you better like eating alone. :) After several mix-ups and closures on the Metro/RER I finally made it to the Musee D'Orsay. I enjoyed the shadow theater exhibition from Le Chat Noir, and the collection of Guimard's Art Nouveau work. Spent the rest of the afternoon wandering.

Tomorrow I'm off to the cemeteries. Hope to see the cat man again. Having a great time in Paris.

A bientot!
Amy

No comments: